DigiLocker – New Initiative By Government of India
Recently The Department of Electronics and Information Technology (IT), Ministry of Communication and IT has taken initiative to securely store your e-documents.It is available for individual only, who have Aadhaar Number.
It is linked to your Aadhaar Card Number. Currently, It provides you a storage capacity of 10MB ( Later this system will provide up to 1GB of storage space).Aadhaar number will enable to login the Digiloker system.
Benefits of Digilocker:
- After uploading the document, you can share the e-documents online with registered agency or any government as well as store Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) link of e-documents issued by various issuer departments (e.g. IT Department for PAN Card, Election Commission for Voter Card etc)
- You can also share it through e-mail
- It will provide e-sign facility which enables individuals to digitally sign a document.
- Government owned platform for storing the e-documents will be more secure than the third party security.
- Eliminate the risk of Fake usage of documents. It will help the individual to safely store their valuable physical documents and eliminate the risk of loss of document during transit.
- You can access your documents from anywhere and anytime
- · It will reduce the overhead of government departments and agencies and also environmental friendly (less use of photocopies)How does Digilocker Works?For signup/sign in you need your Aadhaar number as well as registered mobile number.